Saturday, August 03, 2013

Allan Quartermain Series

So the next series of books I was going to read was the Allan Quartermain series. Right after reading the last page of the Oz books, I excitedly went on Amazon to download this series next. I was so excited to read it until I started the first page of "King Solomon's Mines" and discovered to my horror.... these books are all written in "1st person" like reading someone's diary.

I know it was a popular style back then but I HATE stories written in the 1st person. I struggled thru the first few chapters of the book and sadly, tapped out altogether in reading the series. I hated to, because I really looked forward to reading this one but I just can't put up with what I consider to be a lazy writing style.

So now it's back to catching up on my Star Wars books for the year and hoping something else comes along and catches my eye in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Don't feel bad. I can't do it either. The ONLY series I stuck with that was written in 1st person is the Dresden Files.

And it took me reading the first book three times before I got over it.

But they are totally worth it if you haven't checked them out yet.

kidcardco said...

You're the first person I've known who's read those. I have read 1st person books in the past but these day I just see it as an easy cop out to tell a story.

If my book list gets low this year, I MAY give them a try though.