Thursday, August 29, 2019

Things I hate about Kickstarter

I've backed a lot of products on Kickstarter but I thought today I'd talk about some of the things I hate about the site.

1) Kickstarter Exclusives

If you don't back it, you'll never have a chance to get it ever again.

I hate that. If they at least charged people outside of the Kickstarter for the extra stuff I'd be fine with that. But making it as to that you'll never have a chance to get the exclusives turns me off from getting the game altogether.

2) No response from the owner of the project.

When packages are late some companies go silent, ignoring any questions or requests for updates. Queen Games is NOTORIOUS for doing this as are a few others. In fact, the last one I received was 7 months late. And when we finally received an update after the 1st 6 months, they told people the games had arrived, where in the warehouse and ready to ship out that week....4 weeks later my package arrived without a word of apology from the publisher.

3) Early Bird price

Only the first few can take advantage of a $10 to $15 discount but if you missed news about the opening date, you're screwed to pay more money than what they charged others.

Another turn off for me. I don't back games that come with these stipulations.

4) Taking the money and run

In this case, Kickstarter is powerless to protect it's customers. Leaving this site as a hotbed for crooks just wanting to make a fast buck and fool a couple of people. It sucks, but it is what it is.

5) Wrong Expectations 

About 95% of games I back always get their Expected Release Dates wrong. One of the few to actually deliver on time was a first time board game company that made it's 1st game!

My question is, how can a new company get it right on their first try while others (who've been doing it for years) continue to get it wrong? My only answer is that they set up false expectations to get you to bite into the project and don't care enough to deliver on time when the money's in their account.

Don't get me wrong. I love Kickstarter but these are a few of the things I hate.

No comments: