Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Essential Board game expansions

Sometimes the base game just isn't good enough! Today I wanted to talk about 5 board games I won't play without the expansions added in. (In no order)

 Viticulture

Absolutely must be played with Tuscany or the game isn't as good. However, I add everything possible into this game. The Moore and Rhine Valley expansion decks have been shuffled in permanently, I've never used the cardboard coins (only metal for me) and just recently with the purchase of the Arboriculture expansion, I won't play without using one of the 2-sides to that expansion. Simply an amazing game!

 Fresco

Last year when I finally played with all of the expansions, I knew there was no going back. From here on out this massive table hog with be a must to every game I play. SO many choices which is why it's my favorite game from Queen Games.
 Fireball Island

While the base game is fun, you're missing out if you don't add every single expansion to this game. And with the recent release of the new spider expansion, I can't wait to add it to my collection to make this game that much more incredible!

 Templar: The Secret Treasures

We played it once without the queenies. Then I added them all in and will never play without them ever again. I would've dumped this game from my collection if it were not for the mini-expansions to the game. It's does indeed make it that much better!

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

There's a reason my gaming group will not be playing the 4th edition for a while. Because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as its predecessor. TI3 MUST be played with everything that comes in the box of expansions. My gaming group will have it no other way. I forced them to play 4th edition long enough. Though I enjoy it, I understand why they miss all the goodies that came with the 3rd edition. It's not wonder that this game continually makes it near the top of my favorite board games every year.

That's mine. What's yours?

No comments: