Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Lame Celebration

So the Star Wars Celebration just wrapped up and let's look at what we got out of it:

John Williams is doing the music for Episode 7...well duh. We knew that already. But they announced it like it'd been a secret this whole time. LAME

The new logo for the upcoming cartoon came out. They also released a few rough drawings of the planets and ships but overall gave the fanboys nothing to write home about. LAME

Virtually NOTHING was said about Episode 7 once again leaving fans in the dark about the entire series. Our only hope is that Disney's D23 in August will provide some insight into the films but I'm skeptical. If it hasn't happened so far it won't happen until next year.

In fact the only rumors we know about D23 is that Disney plans to unveil it's development sketch of "Star Wars World" at Disney World/Land, which should be exciting news to hear but certainly not enough for us in general.

If you've been keeping up in the news lately there's been a lot of pressure from the media to see what Disney plans to do with the Expanded Universe and of course that's the ONLY question on my mind to. It will decide whether I'm seeing the films or not. But Lucasfilm and Disney have been tight-lipped about subject in fact one source says they still haven't decided what they want to do about it.

I was hoping someone would bring it up in the Q&A to Kathleen Kennedy at Celebration but they all pitched soft ball questions to her (as expected) No one had the courage to speak up and get to the point. I was surprised by a comment the new head of Lucasfilm made concerning the prequels. She said they focused too much on special effects and not on the storyline or characters. WOW!

I guess now that Emperor Lucas has stepped down from his thrown, she can now admit to the world that the Emperor truly had no clothes?! That was the most shocking news for me from this whole LAME-fest hands down.

I spoke about this to Megan but her eyes glazed over and the only thing she could say was "huh" so I decided to share it with all of you instead.

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree they dropped the ball in a major way with CEII. However, I have a feeling that the lack of news is a 100% Disney decision. With D23 later this month, they want a reason for SW fans to attend, and if they already got their news from CEII, why would they go the (historically crappy) D23 con. Now, for the record, I don't think we're gonna get any big news out of D23 either, but it's the speculation that'd gonna drive up interest in the whole thing.

As for Rebels, what was reported is that there isn't any animation to even show yet, as they're still in the preproduction phase. However I really did like what I saw, especially the McQuarrie-esque stormtrooper design they showed. All I really hope to get out of Rebels, is something at least as good as Droids. So the bar for me is set low to begin with.

kidcardco said...

Ha ha ha ha. I agree about the D23 set up but beyond Disney park expansions I don't think they'll be any more news. Al I'm looking for is what the story will focus on, when it will begin shooting and how about some casting announcements?! Geez, at the latest they need to start filming this year right? I hear speci al effects can be a full year in the making and if they're still shooting for a May 2015 date that schedule's going to get a little tight! Not to mention re-shoots or scenes. I hope this thing doesn't end up being rushed. Without any news we don't know how far along they really are. Ey could be writing the first few lines of the script for all we know! Lol

Toby-O said...

It wasn't 100% that John Willams would score SW7 (although I am very happy that he is... Isn't a SW score without him). Michael Giacchino was the obvious second choice.

Unknown said...

I think it's much further along than anyone thinks. What better way to throw people off the scent if you're already a few months ahead of schedule before the thing is even announced. I saw a post a while back on the official site by Pablo Hidalgo that the gears were in motion for 7-9 BEFORE the Disney buyout. So it's entirely possible that artwork, as well as major story elements were already completed. I also strongly think that if it's going to be 2015, it'll be holiday 2015, not summer. Avengers 2 comes out in May of 2015, and they aren't going to have two movies in their own stables competing with one another. And the fact that Avatar made MAJOR money by having a holiday opening, that can't go unnoticed.

kidcardco said...

I would think they'd continue the traditional May release, but we'll see!