Monday, June 12, 2017

Why toys aren't in cereal anymore

I was walking through the cereal isle at my grocery store when I thought occurred to me. "Why don't they put toys in cereal boxes anymore?" It seemed the phase died out in the mid-2000's and I never knew why.

Now I think I have an idea of what happened.

In 2007 Congress passed a law about how companies can advertise "unhealthy" products to children. Giving away a free toy in a cereal box might have fallen into such category. But isn't it the parents decision on what gets bought? I know we like doing stuff for our kids but toy or not Cookie Crunch is the bomb.com and I'd take it even without a toy inside!

It's kind of weird when you think about it. Parents lack of control over their children caused us to stop this. In that case, should they even advertise for toys anymore? Or video games?! How are they promoting "health" for the younger generation?

You see the occasional "spoon" or "comic" being offered in cereal boxes today but I miss the old days when it seemed every brand gave you something extra with your purchase.

Grumble...mumble...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved getting those cereal box toys. As a kid I would open up a fresh box of Fruity Pebbles, and play with the toy while ate and watched my Saturday morning cartoons. The campaign may have changed, but the ingredients didn't. But im okay with that Haha. We are far worse than what kids now are eating and we came out okay!

kidcardco said...

Indeed!