Thursday, June 01, 2017

Backyard Wrestling

Back in the late 90's Wrestling was back in the spotlight and bigger than ever. Folks were watching all around the world and getting the "fever" for more!

So much so, that "backyard wrestling" used to be a thing. There were video games, home movies and even a little merchandise from some of the "stars" you'd find on the internet.

Backyard wrestling mixed all sort of stunts (jumping from rooftops, ladders) and included several high impact moments that usually ended up smashing someones trash can, table or chair. Pretty brutal but or planned out as wrestling moves go.

It was entertaining and even I admit to renting a few videos at Blockbuster about it back in the day. Even made a few myself. A friend of mine in Detroit made some study belts out of cardboard and duct tape. I followed suit by making a few more and we had our own "league" with champions and all in it.

The first match took place in Detroit, the second in Monroe the third in Virginia and so on. We'd take turns passing the World Championship belt around while the other belts usually stayed within the area so they had something to fight over if the World Champ wasn't in town.

As it stands, I'm still the World Champ though I'd planned on giving it up at our last event a few years ago, it never happened because the guy thought it best I should win and we decided he'd win it in a rematch. (which never came about) I'm also the undefeated Hardcore Champion since I was the only one brave enough to take the hardest "bump" in the game. That was our rule back then. Whoever agreed to pull off the craziest stunt would win the belt.

I won it every time because I'd always agree to it. Setting my shirt on fire during a match (briefly) Getting whacked with a stick in the head (though it was cut to break upon impact) and my personal favorite, falling from a ladder straight through drywall that was held up by saw horses. Fun stuff!

I had also planned to drop the Hardcore belt in Branson, MO for a Backyard Event I had attended but they had a full card that day and promised to let me have a chance the next time I came up. Which ended up being never.

The Tag Team belts are still held by two girls who were best friends at the time but live in different parts of the area. One is still in Detroit while the other's in Southern California. And the Lightweight Belt was still up in Toronto, Canada last I heard.

No one fights for the belt anymore but I do keep in contact with the Tag Team champs who tell me they keep the belts in same place we agreed to keep them at all times....the trunk of our cars. That way, if challenged we'll always have them with us whenever we need it.

If you want to challenge me for either one, I'll be riding around in my car all day today. Just let me know. : )


No comments: