Thursday, June 22, 2017

Why boardgames are better than baseball cards.

Just as a note, there's no way I would have agreed with this suggestion 10 years ago but now I see the light!

It's no secret I'm a big board gamer these days. It's my #1 hobby at the moment. But I've noticed something with the business lately that makes me see why this hobby is on the rise while the baseball hobby is on the decline.

Back in the day baseball card shops were EVERYWHERE! We had 7 in our small town alone! It seemed like every was collecting them back then. Now we only have 1 and I don't even know if they're open anymore.

Card shops has shriveled up and become just half an idle at Walmart and Target now. I tried getting back into the hobby a few years ago by buying a complete set of Topps cards at Target. My second year in doing so I noticed my factory set was missing a card. So I wrote to Topps to ask for a replacement. They declined to give me one stating they're not responsible for "old sets"

Problem was it wasn't even a year old. I'd bought it that December as an Xmas present to myself and didn't open it until the first of the next year. Because of that (they said) they would not send me any replacements missing from the set. Though the new set wouldn't be out in another 2 months. Ridiculous and exactly the reason the hobby is hurting today. They don't care about the fans.

Flip it around to board game publishers. Who not only will replace your missing or broken piece for free but will also ship it to you at no charge as well! It's that kind of incredible service which will continue to fan the flames for this hobby in the years to come.

Topps could learn a thing or two from it as well if they ever want their business to grow.

As for me, I'm done collecting baseball cards. They don't care about me, why should I give them my money?

No comments: