Thursday, June 08, 2017

MST3K Then and Now

I remember as a kid my Dad stumbled among an unknown channel called Comedy Central where it 3 guys looked to be sitting in a theater making fun of an old horror movie. At first we didn't know what to think until you started listening to their comments. The whole family was immediately in stitches.

Over that summer as Dad would tune in to the ball game, the channel surfing decreased significantly and he'd already have the buttons pressed as the next half inning ended. After a while Dad would even go over watching the show and miss the first out of the ballgame. A huge thing back in our day because NOTHING trumped baseball.

Joel, Crow and Tom became our friends and even late at night when we had sleepovers, Comedy Central would run these back to back. (due to lack of programming) We ate them up. The humor was excellent, witty and fresh. The skits in-between were classic and spoken about in our everyday lives. Their jokes became our jokes and the series just got better and better.

Then Joel left and we got Mike. At first I was furious Like someone had taken my best friend away and tried to replace him with a stranger. I didn't like Mike. I complained he wasn't funny at all. And though I continued to watch, it wasn't the same. But I held on because at least Crow and Tom and the rest of the gang were still there. So I couldn't abandon them.

Sure there were good times when Joel came back for one episode (one of my personal favs) and when they ended the series, I thought it was sad but well done.

When I heard it was coming back I was actually for it. I remember talking to Joel at Dragon Con that year and he said though he wouldn't star in it, the show would have the same feel as the old and I started thinking. Well, with Tom, Crow and Mike back, I'll probably watch it.

Then came Jonah...

Now I don't mind the guy, he seems nice and may work but then I heard Tom and Crow's voice....

 or someone pretending to be Tom and Crow. They didn't get the voice actors back for the roles. Gypsy was different too but I didn't care about that, besides they explain in the show Jonah changed her voice box. Why they thought they didn't have to explain Tom and Crow's voice change I have no idea. But I continued to watch and see what happened.

The villains are Felicia Day and Patton Oswald. I like both actors but they do a terrible job in their roles and seem like they're making fun of the whole show rather than "over acting" for the part for laughs.

The humor's still there but it feels like a bunch of people who were heavily influenced by MST3K went out and made this poor ripoff and after 15 minutes into the movies that's all I could see. Was a bunch of punks trying to copy a classic series that may be passed it's time.

They seemed annoying, like the girl at work who thinks she's funny and tries to hard to be. Yeah, that's exactly what the new show feel like. So it was with heavy heart that I took it off my watch list on Netflix and went on to watch better things.

Sorry MST3K, I love you but your time has passed. 

No comments: