Monday, October 05, 2026

Ghost Jobs


 I'd never heard of this until last month when I was talking to a buddy of mine who's been out of job for over a year now and complaining that every remote job he applies for is fake. I started wondering how true that was. 

So since then I've applied for over 40 jobs which I was more than qualified for to see if I would get any call backs. I'll admit, after the first 12 I was nervous my phone would be ringing off the hook and I'd be embarrassed to tell people, I wasn't interested.

However, as the weeks rolled by I noticed not a SINGLE application ever got picked up. Most didn't bother responding back. From what I understand you have companies "hiring" to make it look like they're growing so investors will be impressed. Others do it to grab and sell your information to 3rd parties who constantly bomb your phone and email with spam. (i've blocked several numbers and email precipitants, in the past few week as proof)

Wow. Surely not EVERY remote position is fake but I'm beginning to wonder how many "jobs" are actually out there. If it's in a legit location or local I can believe it. But "remote"? At the moment I'm batting 1000 that they're all fake. 

That certainly sucks for my friend looking for something remote. I'm just happy I'm not looking for work right now. It's a tough labor market!

No comments: