Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Off the Black (Review)

I saw this was back in the day when it came out back when I was trying to watch every movie centered around baseball. I didn't know anything about it but decided to check it out.

The movie stars Nick Nolte (in his best role ever) as an Ump who leads an empty life. After he calls a game that leds to the a team missing the playoffs, the pitcher and a few of his teammates trash the outside of his home.

When the pitcher is caught by Nolte, the Umpire forces him to come back each day until everything is cleaned up (or he'll tell the cops) The boy agrees and over the week the two of them become friends.

It sounds a little hokey I know, but it's a pretty good story that makes sense. The pitcher's Dad isn't all there after being left by his wife so the kid's looking for a father figure in the old ump. I kind of like this movie and think it's just as good as the last time I saw it.

Not a "great" baseball movie but a good one. Worth your time. It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now if you want to check it out.

No comments: