Tuesday, June 23, 2020

How to Walk Away when Nobody is Trying



For over 13 long years I've fought hard to get "How to Succeed" on the main stage here in Monroe. 

Last season I pulled out all the stops and even after getting voted down TWICE by the board I continued to push until I got it through. 

There was incredible resistance to the show. Marketing didn't advertise auditions and a lot of people were shoehorned into the cast to make it work. We didn't even have 20 people for a musical but everyone worked hard all the same. 

We were one week out before the virus hit.....one week. Then everything changed. 

What was to only be for a few weeks went on to become the year. Though a small chance exists to keep it as a summer show everyone (and I mean everyone) was against it. 

People starting dropping out of the show or just plain refusing to be in it. No one acted as if they cared what happened, even after all the hard work we'd put into it. 

I was the last one struggling to keep the show together, to push it through. I was the sole person who picked up the phone after one rejection after the other but kept on. Working day and night to find people to be in the show. 

But no one cared. 

Now the show's been pushed back to the fall. I knew if it happened I couldn't be a part of it due to other commitments I had. I even let everyone know that, but it didn't matter. The show must go on....even if you're not a part of it. 

After 13 long years it's finally come to an end. I won't be in the show I worked so hard over. Won't be a part of the bucket list that will be crossed out. 

I can't be bitter about it because it feels petty. Can't be angry about it because I understand people don't care about it. So all I can be is at peace right now. 

I'm out of the show I worked so hard to make happen. So hard, that I have to make the toughest sacrifice of all to ensure it does happen. 

But it's a choice I'm fine with it. I can't change my prior commitments so it's out of my control. It's just the way things are going to be. 

I'm thankful I have several more important things in my life than boosting my ego by headlining a show. 

If you think about it that way, it's easy to walk away. 

No comments: