Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Best Superman

Now it's time to discuss one of my least favorite but very popular super hero's to date: Superman. And just like I did with Batman I'm going to rank them by how they played the role of Clark Kent. Who really gives you insight into how Superman thinks the "average" human should be.

So who played Clark Kent the best? Let's find out!

5) Brandon Routh/ Superman Returns.... (to take your cash and leave you a stinker)



Routh doesn't even try in his role as Clark Kent to look convincing. He obviously thought that because Nolan was directing the film, no one would realize how bad his performance was....he was wrong.

4) Dean Cain



Cain plays the smug, confident Clark Kent that is seen NO WHERE in the comics. Seriously, if I was friends with this Clark, I'd probably end up punching him right in the face! (um, if he didn't have super strength that would break my hand of course)

3)Tom Welling



Anyone up for a whiny, emotional, love-sick Clark Kent with the mentality of a teenage girl? Then Smallwood is your show!

2) George Reeves



His Clark Kent is a step above the rest but that's not saying much. Reeves made his Kent seem way to smart and level headed. Of course back then I guess it didn't matter. Seeing as how the only disguise Superman could think of was wearing glasses when he wasn't around flying in tights! But still he sits comfortably at 2nd well behind our #1

1) Christopher Reeve



I dare someone to prove me wrong. NO ONE will be able to top his masterful performance of Clark Kent! Even in Superman 4 (with is an awful movie) Christopher's scenes as Kent make it worth watching. In fact, pick up the 4 in 1 dvd for $10 some time and see for yourself. (but be sure to fast forward thru everything else) There will never be somebody as good as Reeve and if so, they must have done an flawless job copying his performance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW we're getting somewhere! Superman is my favorite superhero, and a couple of these are very near and dear to my heart. I will admit I've never seen George Reeves play the part. But Here's my personal ranking (minus GR):

1.Christopher Reeve - I'm with you here. It's not even CLOSE. Reeve is MASTERFUL, and is probably the best actor in ANY superhero movie out there. So amazing in distinguishing Kent from Superman, and brilliant in both roles. What a tragedy he was in that accident and died so young. Beyond even Superman, he was a fabulous actor. Have you seen the old Saturday Night Live when he hosted? Hilarious!

2.Tom Welling - Your description isn't fair. That was Welling the first few seasons, but remember: he was a freshman in high school when the show started, probably going through puberty, with all the hormones that go with it. Since Smallville is different, and didn't actually give him a chance to play the Clark/Superman character, I don't think you can criticize him for this. Plus, again, we are comparing TV to film actors, and that's inherently not fair. But as the series progressed, and Clark assumes his mantle/destiny, he really evolves as both an actor and a character on the show, in my opinion. The writing was awful at times, but seasons 7-10 had their moments, and I mostly enjoyed them. I liked Smallville all the way through, and so I have a soft spot for Welling.

3.Dean Cain - This was my FAVORITE show for the 4 years it was on, mostly because I had a crush on Teri Hatcher. So I can't say anything bad about it. I thought Cain did a fine job of being vulnerable and different from Superman in the first season, but after that there wasn't much of a distinction, you're right. However, I don't know about smug. I don't think he was ever smug. So Lay Off! Hahaha.

4.Brandon Routh - First of all, Nolan didn't direct this, Bryan Singer did. HUGE difference. Singer is ok, but not anything close to Nolan. So Routh's performance did matter. And while he was a little wooden, I give him props for trying to look/act like Christopher Reeve (who he can't hold a candle to). He was a little nerdy, and not so sure of himself, and I liked that. I didn't think he was too bad, I just thought the movie wasn't all that great. Spacey was no Hackman, and that took a little away too.

I'm admittedly pretty biased about these, since I love the Superman mythos and story so much. But there it is.

-Melton

kidcardco said...

Sorry, Brian Singer is who I meant. I was trying to compare his Xmen to his Superman. Had Nolan on the brain there. My bad.

Anonymous said...

You gotta admit though. Brandon was the best looking.