Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Best Penguin

He was never my favorite villain but recently what they've been having him do in the comics has made me appreciate this character a little but more. There were only 2 folks who ever played him, so let's rank them shall we?

2) Danny Devito



Like Heath Ledger, DeVito did a good job playing the Penguin... just one we've never seen before. The Penguin is a "clean cut" crook, who takes pleasure in dressing up and pretending to be something he's not. DeVito's Penguin is a disgusting slob who hasn't the nearest hint of class. Still, not bad. I remember being glad to hear the Penguin would be in Batman Return's because I didn't think he was liked well enough in the comics... this I'm afraid didn't change anyone's mind.

1) Burgess Meredith



Before he was coaching Rocky how to fight, Burgess donned the clever disguise of the Penguin for the 1966 TV Show. He was so well liked in fact, that the Penguin appears in more episodes of the series than any other lead villain.

As for his performance? Wonderful. I'm telling you, if you haven't seen this old TV show you're missing a lot!

A big review coming tomorrow... you know who it is...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'd agree. Danny devito's portrayal of the penguin wasn't bad, but I did enjoy Burgess Meredith's performance. He brought out a different side of the penguin.

Megan

Unknown said...

The only real reason Devito's is so different, is because Meredith nailed it.

kidcardco said...

True, plus I think Burton wanted something different for his movie anyway.

Wait till you see who's tomorrow. Sure to cause a stir...

Unknown said...

Hmm... are you trying to find out who the purrrrfect choice is?