Monday, September 30, 2013

Top 3 Worst TV show finales

After talking about Dexter I got to thinking just what were the worst TV Show Finales I've ever seen? Here's what I came up with:
3) X-Files

If it's been too long since you've seen this one, so I'll fill you in. Mulder comes back for a trial involving some characters from past seasons and we discover Chris Carter ran out of ideas for the show after it's 4th season.

It was terrible. Nothing gets revealed, the "answer" is not "out there" after all. Several years later we had a movie that gave us nothing to do with the story plot of the show. Proving that even Chris Carter never had an idea of where to take it.

Rumor has it they're bringing every back for another movie which is sure to waste more of our time as well.



2) BattleStar Galactica 

When this first came out I didn't hear one single person complain about the show. Everyone loved this instant hit. But I wonder how many would've bothered watching it if they'd have known how it would all end? With a worn-out story line which lost it's way in the 3rd season and didn't know what to do once it all came to a close. The finale is awful to say the least and by this time you've generally lost respect for all the main characters  involved.

If this show would've ended in season 2 it would be on my list of best TV show ever. Sadly it went on for 2 more seasons, dragging through a river of muck then dropping us into a septic tank of a sea for the finale.

Big letdown.



1) Lost

This is the one I love to hate! Lost is by far the worst TV show finale in history. We were pulled in by it's intriguing mystery and plot twist and from the very first season every said "They're already dead and this is Purgatory!"

But the writers vehemently denied it over and over. And told us it was part of something much bigger and that we'd just have to wait and see.

Over the next few seasons the mysteries kept piling up and our curiosity made us believe they were right. Excitement was in the air for the last season to provide answers to millions of unanswered questions we had. But when the finale came about, what did it turn out to be? Purgatory. Exactly as we called it in the first season.

It's as if the writers painted themselves into such a corner that they didn't even know what to do with the story so they decided to go with what the kept denying this whole time! Thus revealing the true prisoners of this purgatory was the fans.


That's my Top 3. What's yours? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOST was awesome. Loved the final episode.

I don't really have a list of my worst show endings. Except #1. Dexter.

-Melton

Unknown said...

I was perfectly happy with Battlestar as a whole. There were some stumbles along the way for sure, but overall, I really liked it.

Tony said...

I'll have to disagree with you on Lost. Not because it was a great ending to a great series (it wasn't, and I stopped watching Lost at the end of Season 2, caught up with everything via Wikipedia and watched the final season and feel like a better person for it) but because the "they were in purgatory and dead from the get-go" is not actually what happened.

Everything happened, the crash, the surviving, the weirdness, the aimless plodding along not knowing where to go with the series, it all happened. The only Purgatory part involved the "sideways" flashbacks during the final season.

As Jack's dad explains in the church, during their time on the island they became the most important people to each other, so once they died, either on the island or much later after long, happy(?) lives off and far away from the Island, they all met in "Purgatory" so they could all move on together.

Could it have been explained better? Yeah...by ALOT. But the Island ITSELF being Purgatory is not what happened.

kidcardco said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! Tony I love ya man, but that explanation only makes it sound worse to me! : )

Stevie, Asa. Whole I was really let down by Battlestar. I will agree the first 2 seasons are unbelievable, but that was the only reason I finished watching the series. I STILL haven't finished Smallville because the last 2 seasons Iw at he'd felt like torture and I couldn't make myself watch the10th season because of all the years of abuse I received from that show.

Melton, you're so money... But Lost SUCKED! Lol

Tony said...

I saw this today and thought of you. I had a good laugh reading it.

(spoilers for the Braking Bad finale ahead)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/damon-lindelof-breaking-bad-finale-639484

I tried to watch Lost again on Netflix not too long ago...I just couldn't do it. Knowing where it goes, or better yet where it doesn't, just ruins it for me.

kidcardco said...

I know how you feel. The show started off so good but it's lame ending make me never want to watch it again.