Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Snow

You know, with all the cold weather going around I have to admit I've never experienced a real "snow" before.

Sure it's iced over a few times here in Louisiana and even snowed a WHOLE INCH a few years back but to see your surroundings buried in the stuff is a foreign concept to me.

I went up to Baltimore 20 years ago today (whoa, time flies) and when I got up there they had about 6 inches of snow. We had a snowball fight that day then went inside for bed. The next morning the snow had melted to ice barely an inch thick. The whole 2 months I was there a "heat wave" came through the area and it was 70 degree weather before you knew it.

My buddy who lived there was shocked. "It's NEVER been like this in the winter" he'd tell me. I saw the disappointment in his eyes when he realized he wasn't going to be making fun of the southern boy who "couldn't stand a little cold"

I have to admit I was a little upset too. I wanted to build a snowman. Not the snowman I built when I was 13 that was 2 feet high and took it all the snow that covered our front lawn. A REAL snowman. One my height that took a while to build. (and didn't look so dirty like the one we made)

Never made a snow angel or went sledding. The closet I ever came to doing so was at my grandmothers in Alabama. Whenever it snowed an inch or 2 (at most) we'd slide down her hill on disks. Fun to do but still not close to being the real thing.

Never skied or had a real snowball fight except for that one day in Baltimore.

Now before I give you the wrong idea here, I'm not complaining either. I hate cold weather. Snow would be nice to see every once in a while but for an entire season?!

No way Jose! I'm happy hear in the 40 degree winter wonderland of Louisiana instead!

No comments: