Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jump (Part 1)

You know, we jump into, off of, over, in and out of many things. So today I'd like to talk about what some of those things are.
 First you have your classic Trampoline. Something we've all spent hours doing. Jumping off and on to the ground was asking for trouble but you did it anyway to show off... and some of you even have the permanent injuries to prove it.

Back in the days these things didn't have the spring protectors so a painful leg slip or arm pinch happened to the best of us. It happened to me and I'd much more prefer the spring pinch to a nut whacker.
 Later on someone came up with the brilliant idea of adding netting to the trampoline, enabling every teenagers dream of becoming a cage fighter. (Or WWE wrestler, which was what we used it for) I still like this idea and bounce with me nephews every so often with them on the one they have in their back yard.

I've seen 2 busted lips, 1 nose-bleeding pop and several "noggins" but am happy to say none were by me.

 Next thing I think about when it comes to "jumping" is fall. The only reward for raking the leaves is what came afterwards. As kids our parents had us fooled we were raking for our own entertainment when all the while we were doing the job for them.

Today I wouldn't jump into a pile of leaves for nothing. Not because of what may be crawling in there but of how hard my landing would be.

Never hurt as a kid but that doesn't tell me anything now.
One other thing we used to jump in as kids growing up in Mississippi was a cotton trailer. Every once in a while Dad would visit friends who were cotton farmers and we'd get to go out front with the kids and jump in the trailers full of freshly harvested cotton.

Besides landing on the occasional shucks the landing was always soft as a cloud. (Duh, it's cotton right?) But don't try to bury yourself in any of it. Gets pretty warm in there after only a few seconds. You're seriously drenched with sweat by the time you're done.

Still.... fun stuff!

No comments: