Friday, February 27, 2015

Jump (Part 2)

Time to finish our discussion on jumping today.
 We're going to look at some of more dangerous exercises when it comes to jumping, like off a roof for instance. Which is something we did constantly as kids. Sometimes with a homemade parachute (which was nothing more than a blanket) to striking cool karate posing before we hit the ground.

Heck! I practically LIVED on our roof in highschool. Always going up there to read, stare out at the sky, sun tan or plan a water balloon attack on arriving guests. The roof was it's own source of entertainment for us back in the day!

Last year I was up on my roof patching up a spot when I realized I couldn't get back down. The ladder had fallen over. So taking my pride I decided to jump off the roof like I'd always done in the old days.

It looked a lot smaller when I was younger. After half an hour of hemming and hawing I finally build up the courage (or lost the brain cells) to do it. I jumped.

A whole second of pure terror.

Luckily I hit the ground with no injuries and walked away thinking how my best days were not behind me yet.

PS- I don't think I'll ever do that again.
 Bonfire jumping. This is one of those memories I have to think back and say "What was I thinking?!"

Every New Year's we went out to a friends house and tried this out. Usually clearing the bon fire as we jumped but one year it just wasn't meant to be.

A buddy and me jumped at the same time on opposite sides, neither one of us realizing it until we collided right over the middle. I fell back and he fell forward.

He went to the hospital with burns on his hands, arms and chest. I went home without pants, shoes or socks. After that year, the New Year's parties were shut down and I haven't been near a bonfire since.
These days kids have jumpers for their enjoyment. I like these and though it's been a few years, I'd go in one again if given the chance. As teens we used to have (you guessed it) mock wrestling matches in there, where each "slam" was well timed and choreographed.

Have a good weekend folks!

No comments: