Saturday, January 19, 2013

Star Wars: Scoundrels (review)

So I finished Timothy Zahn's new book that came out last week and would like to throw my 2 cents in about it.

As some of you know Timothy Zahn re-kindled the Star Wars "fanfare" in a time when it was fading from pop culture. His "Heir to the Empire" trilogy is regarded by most to be the best Star Wars books ever made.

In the years following he's come out with many other Star Wars novels and where this one ranks compared to them I hate to say this but... it's the worst one of them all.

For some unknown reason Zahn put this in the Star Wars time line post-Episode 4, giving us ANOTHER story crammed into a timeline that's been reading "No Vacancy" since Episode 1 premiered.

Yes it's conceivable that it could have taken place during "Splinter in the Minds Eye" in which the main characters were Luke and Leia, with Han not being in the story, but putting "Scoundrels" after the events of Episode 4 makes no sense at all.

Why would Han chase after "get rich schemes" if he's evolved with the Rebels now? What's the point? Zahn's explanation is that he's doing it to pay off Jabba, but that doesn't fit into all the other established stories presented in other material. Han put the rebellion over paying Jabba's debt. (hence his dilemma at the beginning of Empire)

Also in the book is Lando another incongruity poorly explained. In a previously novels he's mad at Han for a deal gone wrong and never wants to see him again. Which explains his behavior in Empire. But Zahn wants to use the character so he explains the reason he's working with Han again is because he needs the money. I'm not joking. THAT was it.

At the end of the book (Spoiler) Han "betrays" him again so as to reset the story of their relationship in Empire. It was so bad it reminded me of Stackpole's slap in the face to Kevin J Anderson called "I, Jedi" where he crams his character in a story that he didn't belong. It's sad to see Zahn do the same thing here.  If this story were set previously to the event of Episode 4 I wouldn't see a problem with any of it.It's mind boggling why Zahn wrote it this way.

There's several more idiot things in the book that don't make sense regarding previously established novels but I don't want to reveal any more spoilers than I have to.

 Sorry for the rant, I'm just a picky nerd who has a passion for Star Wars fiction continuity and  a wife whose eyes glaze over whenever she hears me talk about it.

(sigh) I need more nerdy friends...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry, that's what we're here for on the internet, it's like a support group for the super Star Wars nerds. My significant other is actually a pretty avid fan of Star wars but I guess I take it just that little bit further, and even she gets tired of me bringing it up. So I'm with ya man.

It sucks to hear this didn't turn out too well, but when you see what looks to be Elan Sleazebaggano on the cover, it can't be too good. Why has no one really revisited the corporate sector? I always thought that was a cool concept.

kidcardco said...

It's very quiet on the Star Wars book front, with only 3 titles announced for release this year it makes me wonder if this Disney sale has put all their projects on hold.