Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Thor comic review

Now that I've finished reading nearly 20 years of Thor comics I thought I'd give my final thoughts on the series as a whole. Now I love the Thor movies that are out and look forward to the 3rd one later this year, so I went into this with high hopes.

Unfortunately it only further proved to me why DC is far superior a comic universe than Marvels. Say what you will but I have no idea WHY this series went on for as long as it did. While it wasn't all bad (especially the last few issues that dealt in an "alternate" universe where Thor killed all the Marvel heroes and took over the world) it had a lot of repetitive moments.

Odin (Thor's father) dies twice in the comic and comes back each time. Thor's hammer breaks 3 times...and is later put back together. Once within the same issue! Loki dies twice and is brought back and Thor gets 3 different human counterparts he must share lives with until the writers got bored with the concept and wrote it out of his story....only to have another weave it back in. At least they were different personas.

There didn't seem to be much imaginative story writing or thought put in to the run. While comics like Batman constantly evolved in their story telling and got better in time, Thor seemed to be stuck in the same old rut with writers having no clue of where to take the story next.

I won't be reading through it again, I'm moving on to my next series....the Thunderbolts.

No comments: