Friday, December 16, 2011

Star Wars vs Star Trek



So if you haven't heard Carrie Fisher and William Shatner have been been "hee-hawing" each other about which sci-fi genre is the best. I'm sure this battle has waged on for years but honestly I've never talked about it much to anyone, but I thought today I could put in my 2 cents.

Of course I love Star Wars the most, but I do enjoy Star Trek as well. If we combined it on paper I actually think it's pretty even...

1) Best TV series. We have Clone Wars which sadly, makes Star Trek Voyager look genius in comparison! (point Trek)

2) Original movies. Star Wars, Empire and Jedi going up against movies like Star Trek 1,3 & 5... hands down Wars gets a point!

3) Newest movies. I loved the new Star Trek film (who didn't) putting it up against the Prequels (or Clone Wars the movie) Trekkies gain another point.

4) Lead Actors. Shatner vs Hamill. I love you Mark but c'mon! It's Shatner we're talking about here!

5) Leading Actress. Carrie Fisher in a metal bikini vs.... I'm sorry where were we? I just lost my train of thought. (point Wars)

We could go on and on, but the point that hits home to me the most is continuity. Star Wars has it. From their books to their comics, the movies and that step above the Holiday Special called Clone Wars, Star Wars has it.

Star Trek continuity? Forget it. They don't even have it in their tv to movie series, not in their books either. It's like someone just kept writing "what if" stories and Trekkies didn't care.

I hate Lucas, but his death grip he has over the story has been impressive. Knowing that some stories get cut and even authors get booted off a project *cough cough Karen Traviss* Lucas has kept the story line pretty linear and complete.

I also love Star Wars because it doesn't deal with Time Travel like Star Trek does. How many times have they tirelessly used the same "go back in time" story line in their books, movie and series? Too many to number.

Star Wars doesn't deal with all that mess and that's what makes it better. Shatner said in a YouTube video to Fisher recently that Star Wars only had special effects but Trek had the story. For the prequels he'd be right, but overall well... I love you Mr Shatner but at least our stories have continuity.

C-ya tomorrow folks!

No comments: