Friday, December 01, 2017

Vintage Games that most surprised me

I love vintage board games but there are some in my collection I thought I'd never have but am happy I do. Today I want to share with you the games that most surprised me at how good they were!

 Murder She Wrote

When I saw this in a Flea Market with Megan last year, she asked if we could buy it. I looked at the cover, laughed and said "No". Now I own it and love the game. A great "who dun it?" mystery game that the designer took the time and effort into making stand out from the traditional roll and move game, while also making it thematic to the TV show. Well done.

 Ebay 

Look at this. I never game it a second thought until I saw a review that completely changed my mind! Incredibly fun auction game that feels a lot like bidding on Ebay. This has been played several times with my gaming group and it's one of my favorite action games out there.

 Masterpiece

Whoopie, a game about auctioning off and buying paitings. The 90's version of the game tried to make it seem fun, but looking at the premise you might not see it. However, the fun is there! I passed up this game for years at Flea Market's until finally biting the bullet and trying it out. Uh-Mazing game! Such a simple concept and so much fun!

 It from the Pit

I was bummed when I had to pay $35 for this game. I was just getting into vintage games but had never paid that much for one before. When I got home I was worried if it was even worth it.....and now it's one of my favorite vintage games in my collection. Fast paced, action packed, I don't think I could ask for anything more!

 Bargain Hunter

This game looks awful. I sat there in the antique store in Monroe thinking that. But it was only $5 and I thought "Well, if it sucks I'm only out that amount." WOW what a deal! This shopping game is incredibly clever with it's game play and forces you to look for bargains wherever you go. This is my official game for Black Friday. In fact, I re-theme of this game with that title wouldn't be a bad idea!

 Star Trek The Game

Don't fall asleep on me! I know this board looks boring but the game will keep you engaged the entire time! This is one I passed over for a year until seeing a review and finding out how thematic it is to Star Trek. My little nephews and their friends ask for this one all the time!

 McDonald's 

If you'd have told me 3 years ago I'd be raving about this game I'd have laughed at you in the face. Now I can only laugh at myself and proclaim it's praises to anyone who'll listen. Such an ingenious game, I'm shocked it came out by the company. If I ever get to make board games, I'd love to re-print this one most of all!
 Mr Creepy's Tomb of Doom

I bought this in a lot with other games I was more interested in. In fact, if this wasn't in the package I would've been just as happy. I'm so glad it was included. This game now outshines the others I got from that package and gets played a lot around the house. My nephews love it, my wife loves it. Simple and fun!
 Trump

Checked it out of the GenCon library last year as a joke and bought a copy right after we played. This game STILL gets played today and is so much fun! All it needs is an expansion where we can build a wall around the game and not let other players in!

How to Succeed

I loved the musical, I bought the game simply because of the game. When it arrived in the mail I was ready to accept it wouldn't be that good.....it's great. A bluffing game that has more strategy in it than I gave credit for. Couldn't believe how smart a game it was, just don't know who'd want to play it unless they enjoyed the Broadway musical too.

Ok folks, that's all for now!

No comments: