Friday, December 15, 2017

Hell on Wheels Review

Last week I finished the AMC series Hell on Wheels so today I'd like to give my review of it.

Season 1 starts off strong, with good characters and a great story of revenge (which is sadly never resolved) of a Confederate going after the Union soldiers that killed his family.

Season 2 was just as good but ended in an amazing finale which saw half the cast die in the end. I later found out that the writers for the show were leaving and new ones were coming in, which probably led to the finale.

Season 3 started off well but the season stumbled along the way. My guess is after the blow out finale from the previous season, the writers were trying to establish new directions for all the characters involved. It also awkwardly killed off a character after the actor asked to be off the show. It was later resolved in the following season but still, it didn't feel like a proper ending to the character after 3 seasons.

Season 4 is where the story really started to struggle. One of the main cast had to be replaced with another actress which was unsettling at first. Like I had to get used to a new cast member who was pretending to be someone previously established. There's also the issue of the main villain on the show who walks around as if he's done nothing wrong, yet in previous seasons has made enemies with just about every other character. The fact that they let him live so long, I can only guess is because the writers were hoping folks would forget about his transgressions from previous seasons and let him stick around.

Season 5 the series steered to a end but looked more like the show had run out of ideas other than "finish the railroad" There were really no story lines to wrap up or big conclusions to be had.

Overall the series is decent. You'll love the main character and the first 3 seasons I think, after that you'll stick around because you love the characters, thought the situations and the plots get a little stretched beyond belief. But I'm glad I saw it and it was worth my time!

No comments: