Monday, December 04, 2017

Current board games that surprised me

Last week I spoke about the vintage board games that took me by surprise, now I'd like to address current games that shocked me as well!

 Firefly

When this game first came to my table it was by way of a friend. I loved the TV show but had no desire to play a board game that looked this boring....boy was I wrong!

This "pick up and delivery" game is excellent and one of my favorite games to play now. I remember after my first game I even dreamed about playing it for days afterwards. Great game!


Liguria

This game looks dull and I only bought it because it was cheap on Amazon at the time and it was from Queen Games. I manufacturer that I enjoy a lot of games from. When the game came in I thought it may have been a mistake...and then we played it. Surprisingly strategic in several ways this game took me and my gaming group by complete surprise!

At the Gates of Loyang

In general every Uwe Rosenburg game I dislike. So when I heard this was designed by him, I immediately passed. But as I kept learning more about it the more I was intrigued. I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing a copy only to discover I was wrong about the game. Super fun! And now that I see this game goes unmentioned by fans of his I can see why. It's very unlike anything he's previously created which is probably why love it so much.

Eketorp

A game knew NOTHING about and bought because it was from Queen Games and Amazon had it for $8. Fantastic game! Can not say that enough. My favorite viking game by far! Easy to play and fun to boot! My gaming group loved it so much one of them bought a copy as well. A huge surprise to us all.
Tobago

When I saw this at BGG Con this year I thought "Wow!" then after reading the rules I thought "Ugh!" than after playing it "I have to buy this!" Seeking treasure on an island has never been more fun! So surprised by the game play and flow of this this game, it defiantly deserves to be on this list!

That's my top surprises....what's yours?

No comments: