Monday, May 23, 2016

Decline of the Dead (1)

I've been watching the Walking Dead TV series since the beginning. I'm been reading the comic books for even longer. But now I'm finally getting sick of the Walking Dead shows and I'll tell you why.

The Walking Dead

Let's start with the main show. It been going strong for several seasons but this season was it's worst. First we had the whole "Glen's Dead?" story angle in which the producers teased us with a shot of what looked to be a beloved character's demise, only to go on a full month hiatus from that storyline to show us other plot lines that weren't as interesting.

It's like having a conversation with someone who says something like "By the way, you heard your mom just died right?" Then continue the conversation for the next hour and a half about how your stamp collection has grown over the past several months.

What were they thinking?

But soon, the viewers forgave the producers when they promised Neagan for the season finale. The entire 2nd half of the season was building up to it. Dropping his name every chance they could get. And for what?

The last 5 minutes of an hour and half long episode that amounted to absolutely nothing! "Oh" but you say "Neagan killed someone at the end of the show!"

Yeah. And the slimebags in control of the show screwed everyone over by building up to a cliffhanger with ZERO payoff. (spoiler: It's Glen)

Now we'll all know who it was who died well before the next season comes around because there's no way on God's green earth they'll be able to hide it from their rabid fan base. So instead of getting the big payoff at the end of this season we get the finger and a promise that "Things will be even better next season, wait and see!"

It reeks of desperation for higher numbers in the ratings and I'm really considering sitting the next season (and even the rest of the show) out. If this show has no respect for it's viewers, why should I even bother to give it any more of my time?

The comic book is great. There's no "pulling your leg, they aren't dead" moments and they always resolve plot lines fairly quickly in between issues. I'll keep to the comics because they respect their readers more than this shameful last season of a once great show.

Is anyone with me on this one or am I in the minority? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm mostly with you here. A few things:

1.Didn't like the tease with Glenn. Definitely.
2.I thought the second half premiere (or maybe it was the 2nd episode of the spring?) was fantastic, and maybe the best episode ever of the WD. But that was definitely the exception. It was all downhill after that.
3.The season finale was awful. Maybe the worst episode ever. I think this was the beginning of the end for the WD, where they finally jumped the shark. I mean, seriously? That's as good a reveal as they could do? This whole "Negan's people are all-knowing and all-seeing" thing was ridiculous. And yes, the cliffhanger was really stupid as well.
4.Speaking of the cliffhanger, I'm not so sure it's Glenn he killed. I mean, I know that's who dies in the comics, so it definitely could be, but as you told me, they have veered from those in the past. Consider this: they've already teased us with Glenn's death once. They wouldn't do it again...right? Also, he's such a beloved character, I think the two characters they can least afford to lose are Glenn and Daryl (and Maggie of course, especially now that she's pregnant).

-Melton

kidcardco said...

Agreed. Could be anyone, but the show has a bad taste in my mouth from here on out. I HATE the way they kicked the fans in the teeth on this one.

If Megan ever decides she's done watching the show, I'll be glad to oblige!