Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Death of the Video Store

Video stores used to be the everywhere back in the day, but now with Redbox, Netflix and a million other ways to stream movies they've all but died out.

To my knowledge we have no stores in Monroe anymore and it's sad. When looking for a movie to rent it's whatever's on Redbox or Netflix limited menus. What to see something older or in a particular genre? Sorry. You'll have no luck finding it anywhere if your local video store closed down too.

However, you could argue that the Video Rental Stores shot themselves in the foot for not adhering to the change in the market. Lower priced rentals and specials like Blockbuster Unlimited, came too late into the market as the populace had already moved on without them.

A few weeks after I accepted my job at Chase, I was offered a management position with Blockbuster. I turned them down for 2 reasons. The fact that I already had a job and secondly that I didn't think Blockbuster would be around much longer. The competition had already left them in the dust.

Still, I miss Video Stores and wish we at least had a mom and pop one open today. I'd rent me a cheesy Sci-Fi movie right now!

No comments: