Sunday, August 17, 2014

R.I.P. Steve Munz

Local theatre took a huge blow this morning as the classy respectable Mr. Steve Munz passed away this morning from brain cancer.

Upon my early ventures into theatre, I did my 2nd ever show for the Strauss, Footloose. I'd just ridden off the wave that was Beauty and the Beast and the pressure of doing back to back shows was wearing me down.

I had trouble adjusting my character from "cartoon" to "comedy" and had just worked out the kinks before our first show. Steve was working the show as the Backstage Director and he pulled me aside before the curtain went up and said the kindest words to me about my performance.

He'd seen B&B and was around for the practices in Footloose, he told me I had amazing talent, like he hadn't seen in years and hoped I'd be returning the theatre to do more things. It was the most encouraging thing anyone had ever told me at the time and I thanked him for it.

Over the years I did several shows with Steve and they're great memories I'll never forget. Our talks, our laughs shared and our time together will all be cherished.

Before he passed away he approved my last script to be performed. He was putting me in the Director's chair and I was looking forward to his opinion on how I'd do. I won't get that now but I'm not worried about it either. I'm thankful for every moment spent with my friend Steve Munz.

Rest in Peace dear friend!

No comments: