Monday, August 04, 2014

In Memory...

Last week my Grandmother died at the wonderful age of 98. She led an incredible life and I'm thankful for her and all that she's done.

She used to tell me stories about her family would sit around the house, listening to their favorite radio shows. Hers came n Thursdays, it was "Night at the Opera" I can't remember who she said hosted it, but her face glowed just talking about it.

How incredible is it to have been alive while Thomas Edison was alive. Or receiving ice by the block, before highways, having a Milkman stop by or any of the simple things they had back then that are moot now.

She had incredible stories of a time forgotten but that wasn't her only gift. She was kind. Extremely so. If you had stopped by her house in Alabama and told her you were a friend of mine, she'd invite you in, make a room ready, cook you dinner and breakfast the next day, then ask if you were staying for lunch. She was always happy. Always in a joking mood.

When Megan and I went to see her back in June she still was making faces and jokes even though I could see her discomfort. (the tumor she had in her stomach had gotten quite large and was beginning to bother her at the time)

I loved my Grandmother, no doubt. But I'm glad so many other people got to know her too. I'm leaving for her funeral today in Gadsden, AL and just wanted to say a few words about her before I left.

I know she's in heaven, happy and laughing even more and I thank God for all his mercies and blessing in the life she lived and the lives she touched in her long wonderful life.  

2 comments:

Vickie said...

As we are still dealing with the loss of our grandmother a few short weeks ago, you have my thoughts and prayers. Losing a grandparent is never easy...especially one so sweet and kind as our grandmothers. Gadsden is only an hour away so let me know if you need anything. Hugs to your family and your sweet Mama.

kidcardco said...

Thanks Vickie. :)