Friday, May 31, 2013

The lost Adventure Journals!

Hi Folks! It's my birthday and I just realized I don't have many friends to celebrate with! So to make my day somewhat interesting I'd like to geek out about Star Wars and the amazing discovery I've made!!
 
 So what were the Star Wars Adventure Journals? Well, back in the mid-90's West End Games created several RPG books for Star Wars. I never took much notice until after they were shut down but when I found they carried Star Wars fan fiction in them, I was all over that!

I remember buying the full set of 15 at the time and being very proud of my collection. Though little did I know that there was SO much more out there hidden on the www!!!

While perusing through my favorite website "Wookiepedia" I came across this article that informed me about the "unpublished" Journals that West End Games never released. So after some diligent web searching (I tell you, I am REALLY bored) I came across a website that had them all in digital form!!

 

I quickly gobbled up everything I could and am currently reading it now. #16 (shown in the picture at the very top) Was heading towards the printers when Lucas stripped WEG of the Star Wars license. But the WHOLE thing was ready and waiting! They even had #17 (shown in the pic above) halfway thru and I got to see all the wonderful stories for it as well!

#18 was only created in theory but nothing was made for it yet. HOWEVER while ready #16 online I read that they'd hired an author to write fiction for each of the 3 unpublished issues and since they never went to print the author decided to post them on his website!! I checked it right then and IT WAS STILL UP!! (Though no post had been made on it in a couple of years)

I know this sounds geeky and you probably stopped reading after the first 2 sentences but this was like finding buried treasure to me!!

Happy Birthday indeed!!

Ok, I'm going back to reading my new found material.

Geek. Out.

No comments: