Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Star Wars update

In the latest Star Wars news, Disney announced it was giving the video game rights to a company that has held the title of "Worst Customer Service Ever" for 3 years straight. (no joke) I guess they figured fans were used to the abuse, living with King George for so long they're used to being abused.

I loved the idea of shutting down Lucas Arts. They'd gotten to be too compliant over the years and the gaming franchise needed an overhaul. But giving it to EA?! What were they thinking?! There are hundreds of better companies they could've given the rights to who'd have been better than these bozos!

Rocksteady anyone?

My point is, you don't had the golden goose over to someone as self-centered as EA who have NEVER shown love to any of their fans. Don't believe me? Check out all the "ho-hum" reviews over the years for Madden and NCAA football.

EA lost their imagination a long time ago. The only thing they have left going for them is exclusive rights over sporting games. If it were not for those rights, they'd have been shut down years ago!

And while I'm on a rant....

Have you heard about the new book coming out later this year? ANOTHER classic adventure novel!? I know everyone loves to tell stories of when Luke and Leia were young rebels on the run from Vader and the Empire but it's been done enough! Please stop!

As the timeline is now it looks like Han, Leia and Luke hardly had time to sleep inbetween A New Hope and Emipre Strikes Back. Why they keep choosing this timeline to write within is mind boggling.

Yeah, I'll read it but with thousands of other options for books, why Del Rey continues to harp on this point in time is beyond me.

Hmmm... maybe Disney can strip the rights from them as well and give the book rights to someone else...

Here's to hoping!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that EA is the gaming industry's equivalent to Wal-Mart, but they do have a number of studios under their wing that make some really, really good games. BioWare for one, have a really good track record with making some really good games. If you still haven't played the mass effect series (especially Mass Effect 2) you are really missing out on one of the best modern Sci-fi universes out there. I would love nothing more than the team that made that series just slap on some Star Wars paint and have a go at it. Some of the other studios involved also make some really pretty, well reviewed games. Battlefront, Dead Space. I can't speak to sports games , as I don't play them, but you gotta remmeber EA is a huge tent with a lot of smaller developers under their wing. Honestly I would have hoped for Activision/Blizzard to have gotten the rights. Even though Activision is another coprporate monster, they have blizzard, one of the finest game developers going today.

Anyway, EA has bioware, and bioware has SWTOR, and Mass Effect, so I think things will be OK. I'm more worried about the cash grab phone and tablet games we're gonna be subjected to. I don't want every flaah in the pan App to have a star wars layover (I'm looking at you SW Angry Birds)

kidcardco said...

Ditto on Activision. I would've LOVED to have seen what they came up with!

Oh well...maybe better news will come later.