Saturday, May 04, 2013

A Memory of Light


My journey through the Wheel of Time books has finally come to an end.


In this 909 page book contains the account of the foretold “Last Battle”….the WHOLE book is about the battle!

Not joking here. Only in the last 16 pages is the final battle over and you read about the aftermath. I couldn’t believe literally the ENTIRE book was about the battle. Unbelievable.

As always Brandon Sanderson delivers his material with excellence and I have to wonder whether Jordan wrote any of it at all or if Sanderson was going off of an outline. I suspect it’s the latter.

Not to spoil anything, but a lot of characters die and the ending fits the story as a whole I think. It didn’t feel rushed like some of Jordan’s previous book endings, instead it felt like closure was given to the story and that’s all the mattered.

Overall I’d recommend this series. Even having the reader suffer through Jordan’s annoyingly lagging trilogy in the middle of the series just makes the ending a bigger pay off.

Take heed however! These books are NOT what I would consider to be “light reading” Even in this book a chapter titled “The Last Battle” is over 200 pages long! (I didn’t recognize it till 150 pages in though) So if you’re into books with only 300 or so pages…nope, not for you.

But if you love fantasy and long story arcs, this one’s right up your ally!

So what should I read next? Hmmm… I think I saw some Little Golden Books laying around here somewhere.

No comments: