Saturday, May 11, 2013

Dracula Book Review

So after many years I finally read Bram Stoker's classic "Dracula" and I wanted to give you folks a little review. (since Saturdays seem to be "Book Review Day" for my blog these days)

First off, this book is all written in first person, which is not my favorite. I know at the time it was probably a nice way to convey a story but I've seen this used SO much in today's fiction that I'm really turned off by the style.

That said, the book...was boring. I think this is the only time the movie would be better than the book. The first 2 chapters are interesting and exciting. You read excepts from the journal of Jonathan Harker as he travels to Transylvania to visit Count Dracula. An old man with a mustache, protruding teeth and (as Mr Harker discovers later) has the ability to move up and down his castle walls like a lizard.

Later, you find out that Dracula can change into a bat and a wolf. He can't cross running water and he can only be killed if you run a stake thru his heart, chop off his head and stuff him with garlic.

Wow. The wolf and mustache thing I've never heard of before so that was news to me! Overall, I can't recommend this book. It's bad, it's boring and it moves slow. After the first 4 chapters I spent more time counting how many pages I had till the end of the book, than I did worrying about what was going on. I'm not even sure how it ends. They meet up with Gypsies and...that's the end.

Weird.

Anyway, I'm almost done with my next book so expect back to back book reviews for next weekend.

I'm a reading machine!!

No comments: