Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Letter to Todd Breitenstein



Dear Todd.

In 2009 I was shown something that would revive my love of board games for the first time since I was a kid. It was called, Zombies!!!

I remember playing it for the first time with my mouth open half the game, in amazement at how awesome it was. The simplicity alone made was a welcoming treat!

Once my friend left that day, I went online and bought EVERY thing you had available for that game. (expansions and 2 bags of each zombie!) I remember the day the box arrived at my doorstep. I could hardly contain my joy when examining the thrilling contents within.

I immediately invited my friends over in what would be several months of playing playing Zombies!!! Every Friday night I had 4 to 12 folks over a week playing the game with me. It brought great memories and wonderful times for us all.

Last year I attended Dragon Con for the SOLE reason to meet and thank you for this game. I met several celebrities at that con that week, but my wife laughed when she saw you were the one I was most excited to see. Tripping over my words and acting like a kid meeting Santa in the the Mall at Xmas time. 

You were great the whole time, offering me 2 free promo cards (upon my request) thanking me for my patronage, answering all my "nerdy" questions, signing my copy of the board game and even taking a picture with me afterwards. I was SO stoked! It's the only thing I could talk about the whole trip home!

The week after you canceled your tour due to (in your words) it being a "weird" summer. I didn't know what you meant but a few months ago on your site I heard why. You had cancer.

I prayed you'd recover and checked your website every week for an update...and this week I got the heartbreaking news.

You passed away.

I just want to say "Thank You" again. For rekindling my love of board games and allowing my Xbox 360 to become the world's most expensive DVD player. Thank you for bringing me closer together with my friends and thank you for this game.

You'll be missed my friend.

Sincerely,
                  Matt

No comments: