Monday, October 23, 2017

Writing Styles I hate

I love to read. But there's certain writing styles I just don't like. I'm not sure what the exact name for each is officially called so I'll be explaining it in my own words.

1) "Dear Diary"

This is where the author writes everything in first person so it makes it feel like your reading someone's personal account of the events as they take place. A lot of classics like Dracula, Frankenstein and Jekyll and Hyde did this. It was great for them....boring today. I won't read any new book written this way no matter how good I hear it is.

Example? Take "Ready Player One" before a movie was announced I'd heard GREAT things about this book and was interested in reading it. But when I discovered it was first person, I promptly returned it back to the library before finishing the first chapter.

2) "Commentating"

I seem to find this way of writing the new niche for authors to do. I'm reading 2 series at the moment (which I should review very soon) One is the Walking Dead novels which I tolerate because the story interest me. But the other just started it on their last book in a 7 Part series and you can tell the author was so influenced by the style he decided to change it for the last book in the series. (which I thought was a terrible idea since it's the finale and really downplays the action and tempo established in the books prior)

This style is like reading a sports commentator as he reports the events as they happen.Example sentences would run like this:

Mike runs to the door. "Who is it?" Mike says. 

The person behind the door says "Guess!"

Mike looks confused and says "How could I possibly do that?"

The person behind the door is turning the knob and says "This writing style really sucks doesn't it?"

Ok, just my "old man" gripe for the day. Have a good one folks!

No comments: