Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Best Batman Comics

I've been reading back over my Batman comics from back in the day and wanted to make a new list of my favorite comics from his series.

5) No Man's Land

After Gotham is labeled a complete and total disaster area (after an earthquake destroyed the city) the entire area has been taken over by Batman's enemies who have carved it up into their own little kingdoms, causes turf wars and chaos to reign.

Great story line. Excellent to read and really improved the Penguin as a villain going forward in future stories.

4) Death in the Family

I can't get over how horrifying and sad this page in the comic made me feel. I was floored. For the longest I saved the newspaper clipping about it happening in our local paper because it was that big of a deal. Readers were asked to phone in and vote for the fate of Robin. I never thought they would kill him but they did.

Forget the part of him coming back 20 years later (proving NO ONE dies in comic books) this is still a powerful book and started the whole Superman/Batman rivalry!

3) Batman Knightfall

This is the one I've read most of any of the other stories. Bane breaks all the criminals out of Arkham to wear Batman out in capturing each one. And when Batman's at his most exhaustive, Bane breaks him.

This was big back in the day. I loved Batman taking on a new villain in every issue. It was so much fun to read. Too bad they've reduced Bane to cannon fodder now. He was so good in this!

2) The Killing Joke

For years this was my favorite book. The origin of the Joker and the fall of Batgirl all in one issue. Though this final panel in the comic doesn't really explain why Batman would be laughing with the Joker after he committed one of his most heinous crimes EVER.

But that's comic books for ya!

1) Hush

A comic so well drawn and written that I can't post any of y favorite panels from it because it would spoil the series! I love the Riddler, he's my favorite Batman villain by far and this book looks and feels beautiful every time I read it again.

I know newer stuff has come out since I gave up comics and I'm sure they're good but for me, these are excellent stories that don't make me feel I'm missing out too much on what came thereafter.

That's my Top 5, what's yours?

 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

5-The Long Halloween
4-Black Mirror
3-Hush
2-Death In The Family
1-Year One

Honorable mention: Most of the Elseworld arcs.

kidcardco said...

Long Halloween and Year One are fantastic as well!