Thursday, February 16, 2017

The interesting story of RC Cola

So I few weeks back I named off my top 5 sodas, with RC being my #5. A friend of mine was a little surprised by that pick and wanted me to explain. After doing so I decided to make this post about it for all of you to share.

RC Cola started in 1905 by a Grocer named Claud Hatcher.

Claud bought so much Coca-cola back in the day he asked the company to give him a discount. When they refused, he angrily cut off all future orders and started work making his own cola to sell. The result was RC. (and all the Nehi drinks of which Big Blue was one of my favorites as a kid!)

Mr Hatcher's company were pioneers back in the day. They were the first ones to put cola in a can and also the first ones to come out with a "diet soda" long before anyone thought to make such a thing.
Diet Rite. Something my Mom drank for years around the house as we were growing up. I never knew how popular it was. (and still is today) Of course, these days it's owned by the same makers of Dr Pepper and 7Up (both independent from Coke and Pepsi) and is the third most popular cola company in our country yet in the Philippines it's #1 and in some other countries #2 behind Coke.

Another reason I love RC, is their long running history with the Mets. As it's on and off sponsors, in the 60;s, 70's and 80's, if you were a Mets fan, you probably drank RC cola and the picture up above tells you why.

(sigh) I best they taste like champions....but I'll never know because:

A) I'll never find this can of soda
B) The Mets aren't going to win anything for a very long time to come.

But still, it's nice to know!




No comments: