Sunday, June 16, 2013

Strat-o-matic Baseball


I remember when I was younger my dad brought out his old strat-o-matic baseball game and showed us how to play.

If you haven't heard of this before strat-o-matic is a wonderful game involving the luck of the dice and baseball strategy. You roll 3 dice (usually one red and the other 2 white) which decide the fate of your batter. The game plays excellently within the boundaries of the actual game and even let's you create your own "dream team" as well.

Remember, these things were made before video games such as EA Sports platforms were even thought of! The games popularity still exist today in a smaller market but has a strong cult following.

I loved the game so much that when my brothers got bored of playing it I started playing it by myself which is as exceptional as allowing the computer to play itself while you watch just to see the outcome. (I did this a lot on my NCAA game back in the day)

But to spice things up I added myself to the Mets roster, later I'd add my brothers to the Braves. When I realized I was having more fun playing with my families characters than actual ball players I took it upon myself to create my own league!

Just about everyone I know has a character card for my game now. It also became a great way to remember names of long lost friends I'm sure I would have forgotten by now.

Anyway, every summer I break out this game and enjoy an entire season made up of all the friends I know.

And no, my team doesn't win the World Series all the time. In fact, for the past 4 years my team's only won once.

I think the dice are loaded.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.