Friday, March 16, 2012

Worst Prequels

To round out the week I thought we'd talk about terrible prequels. In no order, here they are:

Tremors 4


Most of you don't even know what I'm talking about here but if you've seen the other movies you'd understand. I believe Tremors 1-3 are some of the best. The only reason I left them off the list of best trilogies was because I wanted to talk about them here in worst prequels.

After delivering 3 very solid movies they thought up this prequel stinker and even had the gall to call it "4". (I should have know right there, huh?) This movie has one laugh in it. ONE. The rest of it is boring and has no imagination or creativity like the 3 that preceded it. The TV series was excellent but sadly this movie was the last thing the legacy ever saw.

Dumb and Dumberer


This movie can be summed up in one word: Why?

Why make this movie? Jim Carey turned down a sequel and THIS is what you gave us instead?! Oh man! What were they thinking?! I believe the folks involved with this movie had a true life "Hangover" experience when they decided to deliver this stinker to us.

Star Wars Prequels


Yep, I'm gonna bash on my own kind here. It's really sad how these movies turned out. They had such great potential to become epic movies but failed on every scale. Sure there are redeeming light saber bouts in each movie but that falls way short of calling them "good" as a whole.

The thing I guess I hate most about it is now the Trekkies have something to hold over our heads for the rest of our lives. THANKS GEORGE!

X-men First Class


Oh I know I'm going to get some hate mail after this, but honestly this has to be one of the worst prequels I've ever seen. Instead of getting the beautiful story of Magneto and Professor X's friendship that turns into hate we got lame CGI, pointless characters and the dumbest story of how Xavier becomes handicapped!

Seriously, I would've loved it better if they'd have had him get a mutant Lyme disease from a stale lollipop he sucked on which severed his spinal chord in two! Hmmm...not a bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the morons in Hollywood would be interested in that story line?

So gripe at me all you want for it but my position on this movie still stands.

AWFUL.

That's my list, what's yours?

(if you haven't noticed already I'm quoting a line from my favorite show on MLB Network "Prime 9)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, first off, I've come to love the prequels for what they are. Of course they are deeply flawed, but time has soothed those wounds for me. Episode 3 almost completely redeems the bunch for me as I can watch it over and over (and often do).

X-Men First class is my FAVORITE X-Men movie. First it sets it in its correct time period, the 60s, and largely it did one thing all the others failed to do (besides just being fun!) it got Magneto's helmet right! I think you're waaay off the mark with this X-Men film.

kidcardco said...

I knew you'd say that. But what about the lack of friendship between Magneto and Prof X in the story? Totally disappointed. It was as if one day they meet and the next day they're closely bonded comrades? I didn't buy it. Also, the reason Xavier gets handicapped?! BOO!!

As for the prequels, you know I'm a Star Wars fan and have Love for them but I hate how Lucas has scarred the series by not giving more care to them. If Ron Howard or Speilburg had gotten a hold of these movies (as originally planned) then I don't think they would have been that bad after all!

Unknown said...

I was actually OK with how Xavier got paralyzed, it worked well in keeping the movie self contained. I didn't mind so much about Xavier and Magneto's friendship, I mean, I think probably for each of them it was both a friendship of convenience rather than a true friendship, so, I think I could more easily buy the whole fast friends, faster enemies thing.

As for Star Wars, I agree, I remember when Willow was coming out people thought it was basically a dry run for Ron Howard to take over the prequels. So yeah, he should have at least let someone direct the first 2, so he could kinda shadow them and get back into the groove of it, and then maybe he'd be OK to do the 3rd. Or maybe he should have just directed 2 non star wars films first, to get his feet wet again and then maybe tackle the SW prequels. Either way, we got what we got, and it is what it is.

Anonymous said...

I don't care about the prequels for Star Wars...they are what they are. But, However, I did very much enjoy the X-Men prequel and that is saying a lot coming from me.

Megan