Thursday, July 09, 2015

What the Star Wars Expanded Universe needed less of

Today I wanted to give my thoughts on the Star Wars Expanded Universe and what I think it needed less of. Here goes!

1) Less Vader stories
I love me some Dark Lord of the Sith but TOO much of a good thing is always bad. Due to the countless amount of stories about this notorious villain, Vader seemed watered down and not as special anymore. If they would've treated him more like Boba Fett and given him a better amount of coverage they could have avoided this. But Vader's face on merchandise is a high seller so why not run his image into the ground.

2) Less Rebellion era stories


Sweet Jeeba, I've lost count of how many stories there are within this era and now that Disney has hit the reset button on it all that's ALL they're making now!!

There is simply no more stories to tell about the main characters in their prime. I know that's all how we remember them on the screen but this "forever young fighting the Empire" phase ran it's course 8 years ago. Please. I beg you. STOP!

3) Less Clone Wars


Before Dave Bologna's abomination "The Clone Wars" I still looked fondly over this era within the EU. Now it makes me want to puke thinking about all the garbage his series crammed in to such a tiny span of time. 6 seasons take place over the span of 2 years?! REALLY?!

More tomorrow...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You may not like to hear this, but The Clone Wars saved Star Wars in much the same way that you claim the EU did during the Dark Times. Plus, you always make light of, or discount GL's involvement in the series. It seems a bit revisionist history. There is plenty of Documentation out there, video and interviews, that say "George wanted this..." or more specifically, wanted to rewrite someone's history. The Clone Wars was not chronological, many of it's stories happened concurrently, seeing as how not every character was on-screen at the same time.

kidcardco said...

It wasn't that good of a show and I'm curious to how you believe it "saved" Star Wars because the franchise was already doing well after the prequels and didn't look to be slowly down or fading out at all like it was when Zahn wrote Heir to the Empire.

Unknown said...

It was a fantastic show if you judge it in the arena in which it was presented: animated youth television. By saved I mean that after ROTS there was nothing big happeneing for SW fans, interest was waning. The books were clearly getting desperate with the zombie stormtroopers, the Vong, and making Jacen a sith lord. Nothing the books, games, or anything in the EU could do to grow the fandom. The Clone Wars stoked the fire, even after the Clone Wars "film" bombed. It got a fan base over time and grew a whole new generation of Star Wars fan. And while your opinion on it may be that it wasn't good, there are legions that feel differently, including myself, and whoever decides Emmys.

For me Star Wars wasn't fading when the Zahn books came out, maybe to the rest of the world it was. Perhaps I was optimistic, but I always held out hope that the Star Wars prequels would eventually come. Dark Empire, and (for me) to a lesser extent the Thrawn trilogy provided enough to tide me over until we got more films.