Thursday, November 01, 2012

Who should direct the new Star Wars movie?

So now the question being asked by so many media outlets is who should direct the next Star Wars films. They've come up with some awful ideas too! Let's see:

1) Christopher Nolan

 Eek. Gag. Please no. This man has no imagination when it comes to Sci-Fi/Fantasy. (Look at his lack of imagination in Dark Knight Rises)

Just because he's the "hot" director DOESN'T mean he should be involved with this series. In fact, I doubt he'll even want it knowing his reputation for wanting to be seen as "unique". Making a Star Wars film is too "big business" for him. Batman was more than enough.

2) Joss Whendon

Again, terrible choice. I love Joss but just because he's another "hot" director doesn't mean he should take over the series. Plus, I don't want it to be a bunch of kids who deliver quips throughout the entire film. Works for cute little comic book movies but not in the Star Wars universe.

3) JJ Abrams

NO. Anyone but this clown! If this were football the stands would be rocking with the chant "Over-rated" A complete hack who shouldn't be anywhere near this film when it starts production. Besides, he's committed himself to Star Trek, wouldn't this be considered a party foul?

4) John Favreau

Great director. Wrong for Star Wars. Again, comic book fans are easier to please than sci-fi. (That's opinion's been given in almost every celebrity Q&A Megan and I have been to this year) Sci-fi fans are more of a stickler to detail. That goes 10 times as much when it comes to Star Wars.

5) Seth Green

Ha. Really? This is being passed around major websites as a choice. Um, no.

6) Kevin Smith

Same as #5

7) Mark Stanton

Wouldn't mind giving him a chance to show he can do some great work. Like I've said before, he surprised me with John Carter. It was much better than expected. Maybe he'd be a great choice of "redemption" in showing just how well a director he is.

8) Ron Howard

Excellent choice. I'd take him in a heartbeat. He knows George and will have the proper respect when it comes to making this film. It's mind boggling why his name isn't on the minds of more folks in Hollywood right now.

9) Steven Spielberg

Why not. Another fantastic choice. I think he could breathe new life into the series and show fans what a REAL director can do when given a great franchise to deal with.

10) Michael Bay

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Yeah right!

Any other suggestions? 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're kidding, right? Nolan - no imagination? It's the EXACT OPPOSITE. I'm sure you're right about him not wanting it, but have you seen Inception? Memento? The Prestige? Nothing but imagination and incredible film-making. He would bring those same talents to Star Wars. You are out of your freaking mind.

Whedon or Favreau would do fine. Relax.

JJ Abrams, we have a fundamental disagreement about. I loved his Star Trek and Super 8, and of course I loved LOST, ending included. Agree to disagree on that one.

Howard wouldn't be a good choice, IMO. Very little imagination, and his films are overrated. Spielberg, on the other hand, would do a great job, so we agree there. But I don't think he'd take it on.

Stanton, or anyone from PIXAR would do well.

Bay/Green/Smith - a joke.

My suggestion? Someone like Alfonso Cuaron. Directed Children of Men, and Harry Potter 3, to name a couple. Brilliant, nuanced director. You are just too hung-up on this whole "has to be a perfect sci-fi director" idea. No, you want just a brilliant director of movies, who is surrounded by great idea-men. I mean, Lucas is kind of what you're asking for - great with ideas and sci-fi, but a BAD director. So, you want someone giving you more of the prequels? Come on. Another good choice - Guillermo del Toro.

-Melton

Unknown said...

Definitely agree on the Guillermo del Toro choice, both Hellboy films were really good, and Pan's Labyrinth was amazing. He knows how to handle creatures well for sure. I agree that Bay/Green/Smith are nonsense, and will never in a million years happen. JJ Abrams I actually like, although he has more of a Spielberg feel than a George Lucas feel. Nolan I feel is a TERRIBLE choice for Star Wars, not that he isn't imaginative( maybe too imaginative), but he's too conservative his movies feel constricting, not expansive like the Star Wars universe.

Directors you didn't mention:

One of my great hopes is that it is Brad Bird, if you haven't seen The Incredibles or The Iron Giant, you need to.

Gore Verbinski. He is on Disney's good side, and made them a ton of money with the Pirates franchise, but his other films (Rango, the Ring, and Mouse Hunt off the top of my head) are amazing cinematicly as well. Plus he worked really closely with ILM on Rango, so he probably knows that studio intimately. To me he has that George Lucas A New Hope feel as a director. Also check out the trailer to The Lone Ranger, whether it's good or not who knows, but it looks nice, so the "used universe" and western aspects of the Star Wars universe would be well represented.

Not likely to happen, but Danny Boyle based solely on the strength of the movie Sunshine, amazing sci-fi film.

Dave Filoni. I know I'm gonna catch some shit for this, but he is George's current right hand man, and has a deep knowledge and respect for Star Wars (including the EU believe it or not).

The guy who did Red Tails, simply because George Lucas picked him to direct a movie for him.

Me. I think I would do an amazing job at directing a Star Wars sequel. In fact I've been doing it in my head for like 20 something years. Although I don't think I'll get the chance.

kidcardco said...

del Toro and Verbinski are both good ideas but watch it end up being someone unknown director. Who knows?

FerdiZ said...

Hmm.

Agree on Nolan, for different reasons. I don't think he is too unimaginative, but rather too constricted. His films are too gritty and dark, totally unsuited for Star Wars.

Disagree on Whedon, I think he'd do an amazing job. Has the right feel for scifi/fantasy, humor and story telling.

Agree on JJ Abrams. Although I do think he has some nice ideas in his head but just doesn't know how to put them in motion, so to speak. I mean, Lost and Fringe are pretty neat ideas IMO, but just not performed well. On a side note, I did like Star Trek (2009), so who knows after all right? :P

Agree on Steven Spielberg though, as well as on Gore Verbinski and Alfonso Cuaron.

Anonymous said...

Another interesting thought: Neill Blomkamp who did District 9...

-Melton