Friday, November 09, 2012

Clone Wars Review

After 4 attempts to respond to Stevil's comments about the Clone Wars, I quickly realized it was turning into an enormous post, so I'll answer the question this way and leave it open for debate. I have good news and bad news so as always, let's start with the bad.

The Bad: This series has gone on way too long. The episodes are hit or miss (with more misses than anything) Clone Wars officially went on for 2 years, so it gets harder to believe all this happened within that span.

In the Star Wars Reader's Companion they list the Clone Wars show as happening all within a few months just to make it fit!! Geez! I wonder when Obi Wan and the gang had time to sleep much less do anything else! Again, a little too much forced within so little a time.

If the series had only 3 seasons, I probably wouldn't even bring this up. But here are some others:

1) Ashoka needs to die, she's not in episode 3 and was obviously made up to appeal to young girls in the audience. (notice she doesn't refer to Skywalker as "SkyGuy" anymore. THAT was annoying from the get go)

2) Darth Maul story line needs to end and end quickly. (Side note: Has anyone noticed they've forgotten about Ventress besides me?)

Point is, they NEVER give us closure on such things. (i.e. Durge from Clone Wars cartoon series) Now this is more of a fun fact than a complaint, but in an interview in 2000, George Lucas was adamant about Darth Maul's death and said he would not be returning to the Star Wars Universe as Boba Fett had in the EU.

So much for that. But it's his call and his universe so more Lucas "remastered" garbage. Oh well, no biggie.

For those familiar with EU, you'll recall a similar story of Maul's return from the grave which in the comic "Infinities" that's identical to the Maul you see in Clone Wars. Interesting... I bet the artist and writer are happy over that!

This isn't the first time authors/artist have contributed to Lucas' vision of Star Wars. Think Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber was cool? So did I, 5 years before Episode One came out in Kevin J Anderson's incredible "Jedi Academy" trilogy.

But I digress.

The Good: All said and done, there have been some excellent episodes told. Any story that focuses on the Clone Troopers is good and the Doathmir Witches storyline comes to mind as well. So I still watch it with anticipation, but most times find myself cruising the internet as it plays in the background.

Clone Wars is connected to EU. No doubt about it. Stevil may remember a conversation we had last year about (what I thought was) a terrible episode where Anakin and Obi Wan find a space deity who controls the Light and Dark side of the Force through his children. (the son representing the Dark and the daughter the Light) He ask for Anakin's assistance to step in as their guardian and retain the balance of the Force. Anakin eventually declines and leaves.

I hated this episode on all levels. It was too campy and more mystical poo-doo than good story telling. (yea I used the word poo-doo) But in the "Fate of the Jedi" books, this episode ends up being the main focal point of what's going on with Luke Skywalker 60 years later! So it appears they had this planned all along to connect the 2 stories. (that or blind luck the two were compatible) Either way it's given me a new perception and I'm no longer critical of the episode.

In summary, I don't dislike Clone Wars, I just think it's had it's time and now it should move on. Heck, how's this? Now that Disney owns Star Wars let them come up with a new era of stories to work with. I'm sure they can come up with something better than extended stories of a movie that came out in 2002.       




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Regarding length, I agree that by our time, these events have played out over 5 "seasons". But many of these events (and I'm only including the TV show here) play out within a few days, certainly the more episodes they make, the fewer days they get to work with, but still. Plus there are many events that could overlap with each other, the episodes with Anakin/Ahsoka that do not include Obi-Wan could be happening at the very same time that an Obi-Wan episode is taking place, or a clones specific one.

Early on, I would have said that Ahsoka would die/be killed. Now, not so much. I have a feeling that a lot of kids, girls in particular, have grown attached to the character, and I think they'll write her off as either falling from the Jedi Order, much like they're currently doing with Ventress. I'd expect her to become a rogue of some sort.

I'm actually enjoying the Maul story line, and unfortunately I've been spoiled for how it ends, but from what I know, if you want closure on some plot threads, then you will definitely want to see the story line play out. As they close out a LOT of loose threads. As far as Durge is concerned though, I think most people, including George Lucas I believe, really, really dislike the character, hence his absence. Asaj has been around, not so far this season, but I like how her story is progressing, in the bite sized chunks we get them.

Again, I read ages ago, that George Lucas doesn't read the books, but does read the comics, which is why so many elements from the comic series show up in the prequels. Like the double edged saber, Quinlan Voss, and Aayla Secura, all comic characters first.


They now have a comic series that ties into that episode with the Father/Son/Daughter, that also ties into the old Knights of the Old Republic game. So somehow, someone, wanted to make sure that this stuff was tied together nicely, so, good job Lucasfilm, let's hope they keep that type of decision making going forward.