Thursday, May 10, 2012

The evolution of the phone

Remember phones? No seriously, do you remember them? I remember when my Dad bought my mom an extension cord for her phone so that it could stretch all around the kitchen. I could mummify myself in that cord it was so long! Cordless Phone
And then Dad bought her the cordless phone. The first thing she did was call up a friend and say "Guess where I am? I'm OUTSIDE! Yep, Steve just bought a cordless phone today!" I remember being mind boggled as to how a phone could operate without a cord and before the Verizon guy was even BORN, I was walking down our road on that phone asking my neighborhood friend "Can you hear me now?" Oh yeah, we stretched that 25 foot rule as far until all we heard was static at the other end! Car Phone
Then in the 90's came the car phone. This was simply the most incomprehensible device I'd ever encountered. I could NOT understand how it worked. It was like magic. By the way, if your Dad had one of these phones, you were rich in my book! Cellular Phone
At last came the cell phone and it exploded onto the scene like nothing ever before. You could call anyone, anywhere at anytime. (but texts messages were expensive and you only called people on nights and weekends) Smart Phone
Now your phone can take pictures, take video, search the web, and send thousands of text messages a month for until $20. You have plenty of minutes because you never call anyone anymore, you just text them instead. I don't have one of these yet, I don't know if I'd need to use the web all that much. The games would be nice. I still hate texting people. I'd rather call you for 5 minutes than send you texts for over an hour. But that's me I guess. I'm just old fashioned that way. But isn't it amazing how far phone have come!

No comments: