Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Book Review Part 2

Now I'm going to talk about the series I'm currently re-reading now. (almost finished too)JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth Series: The Hobbit
Great novel. I shiver how they're going to portray it on the big screen. This book was the one that started it all for Tolkien. After this books was released folks were clammering for more and boy did they get it! Fellowship of the Ring
This is where the story flips into high gear and Tolkien's at his best. His poetry (or is it prose?) enriches the overall story so much. Some folks however find it distracting to the overall flow of the series but I disagree. The Two Towers
When I first read this as a kid I titled it "the boring part" of the trilogy. Reading it again, I don't know what I was thinking. The fellowship has broken apart and we dive into each one's adventure as it leaves us on a cliffhanger that makes us want to pick up and begin the 3rd novel right away! Return of the King
This is the one I'm finishing now. I love how it ends in Hobbiton and the mini-adventure they have at the end of the book. After the main story is over it leaves you with a little leftover action that makes you thankful for every moment. I've read this series several times and haven't been bored with it yet! The Simarillion
If you're really into the Lord of the Rings Trilogy already then I suggest you read this book as well. This was the books Tolkien worked on most his life even before the Hobbit! It tells the story of middle-earth and how things came to be. An enthralling read I can assure you. Still want more? The History of Middle Earth collection (12 books series) talks about everything you'd ever want to know about the Tolkien's world. From wonderful stories, to "what if" drafts of the Lord of the Ring series you can read, this has everything a true fan of the books will enjoy. But be warned, even for myself there were some of these novels that began to drag even for me! They're the only books I haven't read more than once. Sure I may try once more someday but that day is a far way off! K, more tomorrow!

No comments: