Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Book Review Part 3

Time for one more series before I stop. Today I'm talking about the Dune series: Dune
Classic sci-fi this book make you realize why Frank Herbert was considered a huge influence in science fiction. It has an intriguing story that starts you witnessing an assassination plot right at the begining of the book. I won't spoil much but whether you love sci-fi or not, I think this is a book worth your time! Dune Messiah and Children of Dune
Sequels to Dune these talk about what happened to Paul Atriedes and his children that came after. I've heard from a few people they had to stop because the story was too confusing to follow, but I found it was not that complicated just as long as you pay attention while you read and don't let your mind go to sleep. God Emperor of Dune
THIS is where things get wierd. Paul's son Leo turns into a giant worm and has been ruling for thousands of years. Um... yeah. I remember packing this book with me while going on a trip but not having any reading time until my plane on the way back had to make an emergency landing in North Carolina and there was nothing to do that whole day but read the ENTIRE book! So for that reason, I loved it and was thankful for it passing the time for me. This was before cell phones existed so you can imagine how bored the rest of the passengers were that day. Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune
And this is where I started getting lost in the series. Frank's wife had passed away at the time and his story took a strange turn because of it. The story is now ten thousand years in the future (where technology has hardly advanced) the bad guys are now the good guys and the good guys are... well I don't know. It ended on a cliffhanger because Herbert planned to do more but he passed away before he could finish the series, ending the story for years until came... Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune
My favorite author Kevin J Anderson teams up with Frank's son Brian to write an incredible ending to the series. Seriously, these books make it all worth while. Kevin's amazing ability to tell a story once again seals the deal on this one. I don't know how much Brian contributed to the series, but there two make a dynamic duo writing these books! BEST twist ending EVER to series! Other books you have to read are all the new series Kevin and Brian have come out with over the past decade or so. The "House" trilogy as well as all their prequels and "filler" stories that take place in-between the series make for excellent reads. In fact, one of them even had me so scared I had to put the book down and chill out for a while after reading a chapter. Thrilling stuff! K, that's all I have for now. I may have more but I'll save them for another time. C-ya tomorrow folks!

No comments: