Tuesday, August 15, 2023

What puts games on my "dump" list?


 I love me some board games. But after a huge purge I did earlier this year, I thought I'd discuss the top reasons why I get rid of some of my games:

1) Can't get it to the table enough

Usually this is the case when no one likes the game but me. It happens more times than I like, that's for sure. But it's hard to get others interested if they don't care for the game. And though there's still a few of these in my collection, I'm holding on to hope that they eventually catch on. 

2) Broken mechanism

If I don't find this early I'm sure to find it when I play the game with my nephews who love nothing better than to break a game. They try hard and have succeeded several times. All it takes is one game to find the flaw and expose it. If I find it's a legit broken mechanism, it's instantly out. 

3) Lost its luster

This happens occasionally, but only when I've had the game for several years. Pandemic and Niagara come to mind. There's no different experiences to have when playing the game so I eventually let it go. Give it, this is the least of my reasons, but it's still one none the less. 


No comments: