Friday, April 06, 2018

X-Factor Comic Review (Part 2)

In continuing my review of the X-Factor comic I pick up at issue #70 where they changed the entire team! At first I was completely against it, but when I saw Peter David was writing the comic, I gave it a chance....and boy did he deliver!

This is the highlight of the comic!The characters are so well written, it was easy to pick up the next issue and continuing reading! I sat down one Saturday and read 30 straight issues!

David's humor and insight into the characters and situations are fantastic. Strong Guy, dumb name for hero right? And so thinks the rest of the team too! (except Strong Guy of course) Multiple Man has several personalities that reminded me of Keaton's "Multiplicity" movie back in the 90's. These issues are GOLD!!

The humor is dated but I laughed the hardest when it turns out (after several issues of bragging to his team) we come to find out Strong Guy is dating Sean Young! And LOOK!!! In this issue she dressed up as Catwoman! Only someone from the early 90's would get this joke but it was hilarious when I read it!

There are so many other comedic moments in the comic that proves you're nothing if you don't have good writing!
It also introduced another mutant who I loved as a kid but had completely forgotten about him until seeing his first appearance in the comic! Random was a shape shifting mutant who could turn his hand into a gun and shoot from it. How awesome is that?!?!

So far, this has been the most enjoyable read out the Marvel comic collection I've seen so far!

And sadly it was all downhill after that. David left as Writer and while  a few picked up where he left off you could see the comic book's decline. The art even started suffering that awful late-90's style that EVERY comic book had. Big feet and hands. Ugh! It's like every artist at the same time decided to draw exactly alike!!

The comic book falls into shambles shortly after issue #100 (which wasn't that good either) and it was a tough read to finish out.

To me, X-Factor will be Peter David and his excellent stories of when X-Factor got their first Danger Room but couldn't enter it because the door knob busted off (due to allowing the lowest bidder construct it) Hilarious stuff. Read issues 70-100 and then find something else to read.

Ho-hum, off to the next series!
 


Forgot to mention Peter David's Annual which featured Cal and Moe the school bully! Look familiar?! Cal hire Strong Guy to be his bodyguard. BEST Annual story I've ever read! Anther reason to LOVE PETER DAVID'S X-FORCE!!!!

No comments: