Monday, April 23, 2018

BGG Spring Con Playlist

It's a month away till I go to BGG Spring Con, and I thought I'd just talk about the games I'm looking forward to playing when I get there!

War of the Ring

I LOVE Lord of the Rings. I plan on reading it again this year. I LOVE board games and this is said to not only be the best one from the world of Tolkien but one of THE BEST board games out there! So why don't I own it yet? Because the gameplay looks TERRIBLE!!! I'm going to try and hold my nose long enough to at least try it out and hope for the best. I really want a game on Middle Earth, but so far NONE that are out have impressed me.

Montana

I almost backed this on Kickstarter but at the last moment decided not to. It seems like a decent game but I'm still on the fence on whether it's worth it for me. I'll wait and see this May!


Walnut Grove

Another game that's been on and off my "buy" list for the past year. I really need to try it out while I'm at the con this year. There's a lot I like about this game but the "tile" placement aspect makes me balk on picking it up. If it's not as bad as it looks I'll definitely look into getting it.

 Kingsburg

After missing my chance at the Arizona Game Fair, I hope to check this game out in Dallas. Not sure what to expect but I'm happy to add it to the list.


Manila

Another game that was a "bust" in Arizona because they reported having it in their library only to not have it after all. Looks like a unique game. Happy to check it out!

Pillars of the Earth

This game is a bit of worker placement with some draft strategy involved which intrigues me. I almost bought it but held off because I think this is one I may have to try before I buy.

Corporate America

A game about wheeling and dealing to get ahead. It's about making promises, keeping or breaking them and trying to win the game. I'm intrigued by the game play and willing to give it a shot!

Mexica

Building canals? Building bridges? Constructing temples?! This game sounds and looks (by the cover) completely boring! But looking at the pieces and strategy I have to check it out!

Fool's Gold

I played this in Arizona earlier this year and was so-so on it. The theme and production of the board game entices me but the gameplay felt a little flat. I want to give it a second shot to make sure. 


2 comments:

Melton said...

Totally with you on Mexica, Kingsburg, and Montana. Would love to play those and/or add them to my collection.

DON'T forget about Champions of Midgard. And you gotta try it with the Valhalla expansion. It's so so so awesome. The #1 game in my collection right now.

I own War of the Ring and haven't gotten it to table yet. It's so complex and thick, have to find the right person/people. I think if I can somehow get a few plays in, it will be totally worth it, a la Star Wars Rebellion (which by the way is AMAZING).

kidcardco said...

I will add them to the list! And do tell me how you liked War of the Ring. Interested to know how that plays.