Sunday, July 02, 2017

Hal Robinson RIP

There were two directors who influenced me the most in my career. One of them was Steve Munz who passed away a few years back and the other was Hal Robinson who passed away yesterday at his home.

Where Steve Munz encouraged me to do more as an actor, Hal showed me EVERYTHING when it came to directing a show. He was a patient, caring and giving man whose only concern was with the theatre and the people who helped out there.

The best show I was ever a part of was his production of Jekyll and Hyde. It's always been one of my favorite shows and I remember first hearing about Hal putting on the show, I called him and begged him for a role. Something I have NEVER done before or since! He granted my request and put me in the dream role of my acting career.

Jekyll and Hyde received rave reviews and had folks traveling all across the state (to even Texas!) to witness the show. It was the best production I've ever been a part of. I loved every minute of it and was in awe of how Hal worked.

Most importantly though, he was my friend. I don't know who was happier to see who whenever we met up at random events. I always enjoyed visiting with him. He was always upbeat and full of laughter. He was both a mentor and role model to me as a director. I love and will miss this man.

Rest in peace my dear dear friend.

No comments: