Friday, July 07, 2017

A gentlemen's handkerchief

Years ago for my high school graduation, an old lady in our church got me this gift. A handkerchief. I thanked her for it and promptly put it back in the box, then later in my closet to never see again.

4 years later for my college graduation she gave me the same thing. A handkerchief. And both times she'd told me the same reasons why. "Because every gentlemen, needs a handkerchief."

I didn't think much of it back in highschool but after college, I thought "Why not?" and starting carrying one in my back pocket just for fun.

I must have used it a thousands times. Not just for myself but it was the perfect thing to give to a crying girl. They at first were shocked when I handed it to them. Not believing a guy would carry one in the first place. But afterwards they were extremely grateful and saw me in a new light.

I can't explain it but I lost several hankies to the ladies back in the day. Got a few back but mostly had to keep buying more over time.

I still pick up a pack of them every once in a while since I'm not giving them away anymore unless it's to Megan in those times she realizes she has to stay with me for the rest of her life. (HA!)

But seriously, I think back to that lady every once in a while and the important lesson she taught me back then.

Every gentlemen, need a handkerchief. If you don't have one. maybe you should look into it.

Have a good weekend folks!


1 comment:

hollie said...

The real question is why were you always making girls cry?