Wednesday, July 12, 2017

BGG Con 2017 Top 5 Worst Games played

Today I thought I'd give you my list of the worst board games I played at the BGG Con back in May.

I meant to do this a whole lot earlier but forgot, so here goes!

5) Pastiche

Game about collecting colors and painting portraits. Wooden easels make the game stunning and the artwork is not only beautiful but educational as well with the info of the picture on the heavy cardboard pieces.

Then you discover there's not much else to enjoy with the game after that.

4) TMNT: Shadows of the Past

The next game we played was one I'd been looking forward to for a while. I love Descent so if you were to add Ninja Turtles fighting Shredder, Mouse Droids, Foot Clan, Bebop and Rocksteady to it, I'm ALL IN!

Unfortunately the rules for this game were a mess. Looking online I noticed reviewers always skipped the questions we had in the game, probably because they weren't clear on the rules either. We muddled through the first few missions before returning it.

A wise Muppet once said "It's not easy being green" and I'll add to that by saying "It's not easy getting purchased" especially if you're this disappointing a game.

3) My Village

A game I was really looking forward to playing and was so happy to get to the table on Day 2. Problems with the game quickly came to light when I realized how incredibly hard it is to get the chance to do anything in the game before it ends.

Maybe it was luck of the dice, or just the way the drafting went against me every time but it was enough to convince me the game was not for my shelf.


2) Rococo

 Hey! I'm looking at you Eagle Gryphon games! A game about making dresses. Not my thing. But I admit, you had me with the art and look I see online, so I gave it a try.

This is a cleverly concealed deck builder with some area control thrown in to make it look like the girl you knew in high school who looked okay at first, until you realized it was just the makeup and your own desperation for getting a date to the prom.

Rococo offers nothing else other than that. Deck builders may like it but I sit with a different group for lunch in the cafeteria and it not the cheerleaders...it's the chess team. (Go Pawns!)

And just like I was rejected in high school, I have to give this game the same treatment.

1) King's Abbey

One of the top games on my list to try. The art looks wonderful, the production quality? Top notch. The game play?.....um... did I mention the incredible production quality they put into the game?

This game gives you a sandbox of choices but only let's you play in it 5% of the time while the other 95% is spent fending off Vikings, surviving Plagues and defending against the Darkness.

So all those customizable buildings you can create are never given time to grow.

I wanted to love this game so bad but when it continually punches you in both cheeks of the human body, it's impossible to continue such an abusive relationship.

I'm sorry King's Abbey, it's me, not you. I have to end it.

More of my review on BGG Con coming tomorrow!

No comments: