Friday, July 14, 2017

Best board games at BGG Con 2017

Now it's finally time to reveal the Top 5 games I played at the Con. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy coming up with this list but here they are!

5) Coal Baron

Holy Crow. I never knew mining coal would be this much fun! Loved the elevator on our work board, loved the bidding for spaces side to the game which made going first and last equally as important.

Play first and your bet will always be the lowest. Play last and fool someone into spending too much on a space only to pull the old switch-a-roo on them and take another space in the end.

Smart game. Fun game.

4) Porta Nigra

I waffled on playing this one several times leading up to the Con but in the end decided to check it out.

Glad I did. The game offers a lot of strategy, plays quick, is easy to learn and has an incredible point system at the end that brought someone from dead last the entire game to being first by a mile without anyone the wiser.

3) Fresco

Painting the ceiling of a chapel. Seriously Queen Games, where do you come up with these ideas?

Board is beautiful, game is colorful, theme is there based on the production alone. And just as the cheesy infomercial ...."But Wait! There's more!"

This game has expansions that only make it greater. It's uncanny how the game get better the deeper you go into to it. I had a hard time wondering if this was my #2 or #3 game. But right now I'm keeping it here because...


2) Lancaster






This is a great game! Be a knight, roam the kingdom fending off other knights for notoriety in the King's Court and getting as many nobles on your side. (they help later, not only in end game scoring but in the King's Court of Law!)

Go on crusades, build up you castle (which ironically what your player shield looks like) Get upgrades and vote on laws that benefit you! Incredible game! Queen Games won the weekend at BGG for me!

1) Orleans


One of the last games I played. Picked it up on a whim too because I'd heard so much about it. Personally, while setting it up, I was praying for it not to suck and even thought about boxing it back up and returning it because reading the rules was a little bit of a drag. But I soon overcame it enough to build a desire to play it and see what all the hub-bub was about.

A "bag building" game if that term exist in the board gaming world (I'm still a little new to this so maybe it does)

BLEW. ME. AWAY.

Wow, what a game! Playing with the deluxe set really spoiled me too. Seeing all the expansions, promos and mini-expansions really bummed me out too because I'm a completest and have to have it all....which now I do.

Have a good weekend folks!

No comments: